Over 1100 people have been killed in Israel and the Gaza Strip after Hamas launched the biggest surprise attack on the morning of October 7, 2023. As the conflict raged into a third day, Israel’s Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said he has ordered a “complete siege” of Gaza. It means “No electricity, no food, no fuel” on the Palestinian enclave of Gaza in retaliation for Hamas militants launching a barrage of rocket attacks and massacred hundred at music festival at the Israel southern border.
Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) spokesperson told CNN, “We are still hunting down the last terrorist inside Israeli territory.” According to Al Jazeera, a major military operation is currently underway in Gaza with 100,000 Israel troops amassing at the border to prepare for a possible ground offensive.
The deadliest and largest attack on Israeli soil prompted an official declaration of war by the Jewish state on the Hamas Militant group on October 8. Ahead of the Cabinet vote, Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu vowed that Israel would “take mighty vengeance” against Hamas and further warned, “This war will take time. It will be difficult.” Air raid sirens across Israel shattered the morning silence. The Iron Dome system, one of the best air defence systems in the world, was once again in its massive action.
As of Monday of Oct 9, Israel continued to launch 2,500 retaliatory airstrikes leveling buildings in Gaza after Hamas fired 5,000 rockets on Israel side. More than 700 Israeli citizens and more than 430 Palestinians, including dozens of children, have been killed and nearly 2,300 wounded. Ten thousand have been displaced in Gaza with access to medical care becoming impossible. 260 bodies were recovered on October 9 from a techno music festival in the Israeli desert. Israeli General Major Nir Dinar on October 9 called the more than 700 Hamas attacks, ‘this is our 9/11’.
During the morning briefing on October 9, Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) confirmed an Israeli family were still being held hostage by militants in Kfar Aza, which is near Gaza after the Israeli government said more than 100 Israelis or foreign nations had been “kidnapped”. Hamas militants, Abu Marzouk, Chief Deputy of Hamas’s Political Bureau claimed holding high-ranking Israeli army officers hostage.
While U.S. Secretary of State called it “the worst attack on Israel since the Yom Kippur War in 1973”, U.S. President Joe Biden affirmed his support to the Jewish State on October 7, saying the events were “unconscionable” and “heartbreaking,” with “no justification” and reiterating Washington’s “rock solid” support for Israel.
Iran on the other hand was accused of sheltering Hamas militants and helping plan their surprise attack on Israel by allegedly giving them a green light for assault and bombings. A report published by the Wall Street Journal on October 9 said the attack on Israel was all decided at a meeting held between Hamas and Hezbollah last week. However, the Iranian Government denies any involvement with the Hamas attack. Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi said Iran supported the Palestinians’ right to self-defence and warned that Israel must be held accountable for endangering the region over the years. Countries like Thailand, Serbia, Poland, Romania and Kazakhstan scramble to get their civilians out of the conflict-ridden areas.
It’s been close to 18 years and the Palestine-Israel conflict continues unabated. It all began when Israel quit the Gaza Strip in 2005 after 38 years. Gaza existed long before Israel was created in 1948 expelling thousands of Palestinians. After the Islamist group won legislative elections in Palestine in 2006, Israel and the U.S. cut off all its aid to Palestinian regions due to Hamas’ refusal to renounce violence and recognize Israel. Hamas had launched numerous attacks and bloodsheds massacres against Israeli, Israel has since retaliated four wars with Palestine.